L. D. Amory Company's story began in 1917 with Lorenzo ”Ren” Dolby Amory in Poquoson VA. Loranzo established the current location at the foot of South King St on the Hampton River in 1919. At the time of his passing the wholesale fish company was one of the largest in the area. His sons continued to run the business for several years until Charles R Amory bought out his brothers and made furthered the prosperity of the company.
Charles R Amory Jr. assumed control of the company at the age of 23 when his father, Charles R Amory, was diagnosed with a brain tumor and was unable to manage the business. He continued to run the business for 55 years.